Wednesday, May 16, 2012

 First Official DIY Post
Luster Glass Gem Table

I have been dying to get my hands on a mosaic table for as long as I can remember.  There have been posts left and right about breaking tiles and glass to create your own.  The search for tile as not been a kind one - so imagine my surprise when we enter my favorite store "The Christmas Tree Shop" and in front of my face is the glass gems you use for vase decorations. The wheels started turning - and I ended up for 6 bags (at $1 each!) in my cart.  I had the perfect table at home. The last lone remaining piece of bachelor furniture from before the husband I were married.  I hate that thing, or I use to hate it.  I had been begging him to get rid of it.

(ohh Lustre Gems. Aren't we so pretty and shiny!?)
But - The hubby was on vacation.  Nobody to tell me no. So I did it. I made it my own! 
The next stop was the hardware store. I love a minimal effort job on furniture. So this is where to 'Spray Paint' part of my blog name comes from... a can of white wood primer, two cans of Satin White spray paint, and some 'Seal All' glass glue later we were on our way.


(Hideous, Ugly, Table. Go away!)

(Basking in all it's primed glory!)
My first step was to simply wipe my piece of furniture down. To make things a big easier on me I was able to unscrew the top from the base (was easier to take from place to place to work on the top this way..). I laid the two pieces out on a furniture blanket (note to self- and everyone else - BAD IDEA. The little fibers got stuck in the paint! I had to sand it to get them out - then start the process over again!).  I used two layers of primer - and two layers of satin paint.  I decided at the end I disliked the satin look against the tiles - So I went back and sprayed it with a glossy protective layer. Much better.



 Everything was dry - I gave it a good 5 hours - and the real fun began! I had pre-tested a design earlier in the day and knew exactly how it was going to look.

  applied glue, let it sit for a moment - and began to place the gems on.  The only problem was with the clear gems... You could see underneath every time I moved a gem (as the glue pulled the paint up). I would suggest know exactly what clear gem goes where so you can avoid this problem I had.  After less than an hour - bam! Done!
 I allowed it to dry some more.. screwed it back together - sprayed with gloss protective spray - and Done!
View from the top
 
View of the sides

I allowed it to dry some more.. screwed it back together - sprayed with gloss protective spray - and Done!  

I originally had planned to use grout - but I am literally so in love with this look I cannot bare to add anything else! 

Total cost of project:
Table : Free :)
Gems: $6
Glue: $2
Spray Paint: $6
Total : $14 

In my opinion she looks much more expensive! Right now she is being used as a nightstand until I find some suitable ones for the bedroom.. but she is going to end up next to a reupholstered chair in the bedroom for a reading nook :)

Sincerely,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment